About Fabian Bjerke
Winner of Junior category
My name is Fabian Otelius Eid Bjerke. I’m 15 years old and live in Oslo, Norway.
I have been building models for 5 years. My grandfather has model trains and model building as a hobby, my father has also done a little modeling. But my grandfather inspired me. I started to build a lot of LEGO as a little kid, then moved on to COBI from the world wars. I also build environments around the COBI models. I started modelling when I was 10 and airbrushing when I was 13 years old. I have built planes, cars, ships, tanks, helicopters, soldiers and so much more. But my passion is tanks and soldiers. I have tried to build dioramas as well. I love the hobby. It makes me relax. I have participated in competitions by IPMS Norway and in the World Model Expo 2022 in the Netherlands.
1. Can you tell us a little bit about yourself, what is your background? When did you start airbrushing and what was the learning process like for you?
My name is Fabian Otelius, I am 15 years old. I started to build models with my father, and by myself when I was ten years old. I started airbrushing when I was about thirteen. I watched many YouTube videos and learned and learned a lot of technics that way.
2. Can you tell us a bit more about your winning entry piece? How / why did you choose it? How long did it take, and what inspired you?
The model is a ww1 tank called tadpole. I bought the model at a modelshow in Oslo. The shape and length of the tracks on the Tadpole looked really interesting compared to the regular mk V tank. I used 2 weekends on it.
3. What does airbrushing mean to you and what drives your passion for airbrushing and creating art? Also, how do you find the ideas for your other works?
Airbrushing makes the hobby much more interesting. It can make the models look more realistic that with only a brush. To me airbrushing means that I can work faster, more realistically and enjoy more of the painting process. My inspiration comes from YouTube and Instagram.
"Airbrushing makes the hobby much more interesting."
4. What are your goals / targets for airbrushing? What do you want to achieve?
I have no other goals than to keep improving my skills and techniques.
5. Do you specialize or prefer to work on a specific surface?
I mostly paint tanks and afv’s.
6. How would you describe your style(s) in airbrushing?
7. Any advice to beginners looking to start airbrushing?
Don’t start out with a camo with 5 different colors. Start out easy with a one color camo. Watch tutorials on YouTube.
8. Do you have a website or blog? How can people reach you on social media?
I have a Instagram account but not with any models.