About Donatas Valciukas
Third place winner of Automotive category
I am 42 years old, I am from Lithuania, from the city of Palanga. I started painting ten years ago, and five years ago I started my career as a professional artist. In a period of ten years, I have painted about 100 helmets, 50 motorcycles, 30 walls and other small works. Third place in the Sparmax competition is my biggest achievement.
1. Can you tell us a little bit about yourself, what is your background? When did you start airbrushing and what was the learning process like for you?
My name is Donatas. I am 42 years old. I am from Lithuania, from the city of Palanga. I started airbrushing ten years ago after watching the legendary Mike Lavalee do it on the Discovery Channel. It was something unreal. And this was the difficult beginning of my journey in the world of airbrush.
"I started airbrushing ten years ago after watching the legendary Mike Lavalee do it on the Discovery Channel."
2. Can you tell us a bit more about your winning entry piece? How / why did you choose it? How long did it take, and what inspired you?
A friend of mine had a Ford Mustang and he asked me to paint something on the hood of the car. I had the idea that I could draw and engine of Mustang. I worked on the hood for three days. When my friend saw the result, he couldn’t believe it was a drawing :)
3. What does airbrushing mean to you and what drives your passion for airbrushing and creating art? Also, how do you find the ideas for your other works?
Airbrush is my passion, work and love. I love this art form and it slowly shows in my results. All ideas are born after talking with our customers, after finding out what they like.
4. What are your goals / targets for airbrushing? What do you want to achieve?
I wanted to learn from the best airbrush master in the world. I wanted to be a legend :)
5. Do you specialize or prefer to work on a specific surface?
Most of all, I like to paint on motorcycles and helmets.
6. How would you describe your style(s) in airbrushing?
Good question :) I don’t know my style yet. I really like realism
7. Any advice to beginners looking to start airbrushing?
Never give up and believe in yourself!!!